Take control of dirt in your carpets.

Take control of dirt in your carpets.
Ahh...clean, fresh, Chem-Dry!

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just another wonderful Wednesday . . .

In case you hadn't noticed, I like to write.  My friends and family constantly ask me "What are you writing?" "Have you written anything lately?"

I'm finding that blogging can be a good way to write as much as I can and develop ideas.  I have a couple other blogs I write (one is a secret, no one has even found it yet and that's fine with me). 

The chance to be really honest and write about stuff that would be potential dynamite if I had to sign my name to it makes me get it onto the blog and out of my head.  Something about writing a file and saving it in the computer makes me nervous, more so than the fact that anyone in the world could find my writing if they looked in the right place.

When I was young, we lived in a big old farmhouse on 25 of the original 100 acres.  An old apple tree gave low, spreading branches that were easy enough to climb up and sit, hidden from view by leaves and bitter little apples.  My biggest problem wasn't getting up, it was getting down.

I would sit there for much longer than I cared to, trying to get up the courage to scooch back down from my perch.  Finally, no one having time for my drama (Mother would say "Get down here and practice the piano, young lady,") I would cautiously inch my way back down.  Only to get back up there the next day.

The view from the roof of our family cabin on Lake Michigan--worth the climb down!
Conquering my fears or repeating stupidity?  I still feel the same way when I climb up on the roof and can't hardly bring myself to climb back down onto the ladder.  But speaking of roofs, I've found that being up high on a roof or up in an apple tree can be worth the fearfulness of falling - because of the different perspective I get. In the rest of life, I've found that just because I'm afraid of something, doesn't mean I won't do it.  I'll just do it afraid.

I usually end up remembering the experience, not so much the fear.  I'm proud of me when I do what I need to do, no matter if anyone else recognizes it or the effort it involved.

Sort of like when I ended up running a carpet cleaning company instead of writing books.  Some of the best things I've learned are how gracious people can be, and how much I still have to learn.

  Hmm, need to go find an apple tree . . .

No comments: