Take control of dirt in your carpets.

Take control of dirt in your carpets.
Ahh...clean, fresh, Chem-Dry!

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ten Tips for Bring Baby Home

When I brought my first son home from the hospital, I remember laying him down on my bed and just looking at him. After a week in the hospital with labor, a C Section, post-op complications (me), jaundice (Jesse) and a mysterious allergic reaction (eyes swelled shut, throat closing - ME again) -- I was shell shocked.

Here was this little guy, looking good but having been through so much pricking, testing, learning to nurse and a mama who felt like a limp noodle.  I couldn't even carry this little 8 lb. baby, I was so weak.  He lay there quietly and I remember thinking "What do I do now?"

That was the last quiet moment for quite a while, but I learned a LOT about letting folks help when you have a new baby (with or without extra issues).

1.  Let people help you.  You aren't the only one who can diaper, carry, and dress the baby.  Yes, you want to do it all, but trust me, soon you will be 100% responsible when grandma goes home.

2.  If you are nursing -- resist all offers to feed the baby for you. NO.  You are the mother, you nurse the baby.  If it is easy to express milk and have some bottles for emergencies or night feedings, great. If it is painful and you'd rather not spend every free minute trying to pump so someone else can have the thrill of feeding the baby, just say no.  They can do something else for you, like laundry.

3.  Stay in bed more than you think you need to.  Take every moment to rest - it will help you heal and enjoy time with the baby.  If you can nap or wash dishes -- nap.

4.  Accept meals from your church, neighbors, friends.  If they don't bring food, ask. When they say "Let me know if you need anything," say:  How about dinner tomorrow?  Around 5?

5.  Write down some thoughts in the baby's journal while you have a minute - take pictures - and enjoy each day's new developments.

6.  Let the baby's father help when things get tough at night.  It's his baby too!

7.  Try burping the baby first before feeding her.  She may just have an air buble, especially if you just fed her less than two hours ago.  Burp between swapping sides, regardless of how she cries, it's going to all come up if you don't get that air bubble out!  I learned this from my mom.

8.  Use those flannelized waterproof crib pads (not the tiny lap pads) as a bottom layer when the baby is on your bed, couch, lap, etc.  Avoid messy diaper explosion situations with this easily washable thing on the top of the crib sheet. I pulled it down a bit so his face wasn't on it but it's soft enough.  Saves tons of sheet changing.

9.  Keep lots of cloth diapers for spit ups, wipe ups and shoulder padding.

10.  Go outside and get some fresh air every day.  Do gentle stretches of your arms and neck so you don't get cramped up nursing. Switch rooms, positions, and go for little walks as soon as you can -- you'll feel less claustrophobic.  And show off that pretty baby!



“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Lysol® Wee Wisdom blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”  

No comments: